|President Muhammadu Buhari|
In fact, Buhari is optimistic that the court of law would certainly convict Dasuki when he told Al Jazeera television in an interview aired yesterday that with the revelation coming from the arms probe, he is afraid if the ex-NSA would go free. He said,
“That is why we are prosecuting those who shared monies meant to procure hardware and software for the military. It is easy to say we have not recorded a high-profile conviction but there must be court processes. However, with the revelations coming out from the arms probe, you can imagine where Dasuki will end up.”
During President Buhari’s maiden presidential chat held Wednesday, December 30, 2015,he gave reasons why his government has refused to release Dasuki despite several court orders granting Dasuki bail.
At the chat, Buhari said Dasuki could not be allowed to enjoy any form of freedom due to the enormity of his offences. He stated: “If you see the atrocities these people committed against this country, we can’t allow them to jump bail.
Dasuki was simply sharing government’s money the way he liked. They would just say to Central Bank give so and so, 40 billion naira just like that; 40 billion.”
Apparently, acting on the presidential directives, a high court of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, presided over by Justice Peter Affen, last week, struck out Dasuki’s application seeking to stop his trial pending his release from detention.
Justice Affen held that the ex-NSA failed to place anything before him to prove that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, was holding him after he was granted bail, and that the anti-graft agency did not in any way act contrary to court order because it did not have Dasuki in its custody