The transition of Oba of Beni, Omo N’Oba n’Edo, Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Erediauwa, to his ancestors has gone beyond speculation as BeninTraditional Council has formally announced his demise to his ancestors.
The announcement was made Friday by the Prime Minister and Iyase of Benin Kingdom, Chief Sam Igbe, in the company of other traditional Chiefs and Enigie (Dukes), with the traditional breaking of native chalk at the entrance of the palace, PM News says
While announcing the monarch's death, the Iyase said: “Osorhue Bunrun. Oba Erediauwa of Benin Kingdom, the Prince if Peace, Ebo, Ayemwirhe, emini mini mini, has returned with his ancestors. May he find perfect peace with God.”
In Benin Kindom, the death of a king is usually made public, but with some traditional ritual processes that must be done. Some of these rituals are;
- The news must first be broken to his eldest son and the immediate family which was done earlier today.
- The Iyase of Benin, The Traditional Prime Minister of Benin Kingdom as the highest ranking Chief now breaks the news to the people of Benin Kingdom and the world
- The Breaking of the native chalk at the main entrance of the palace.
- All The Traditional chiefs and Enigie will mourn in tears and wail for the translated monarch.
- Every male in the kingdom is expected to shave his head throughout the mourning period that may last for up to three months
- All markets in the kingdom are to remain closed for about seven days.
Meanwhile, the Benin Crown Prince and Edaiken of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa, who arrived at the palace at about 1:10n from his Uselu resistance, was formally informed of the transition of his father, before it was publicly announced.
The late Monarch was crowned Oba of Benin in March, 1979.