Despite earlier denial and pleading not guilty before the court of law, battered and disgraced Chief Olisa Metuh, the former lousy National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has offered and pleaded to refund the alleged N400 million received from the national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki.
Metuh made the through his lawyer, Onyechi Ikpeazu, TheFact Times says.
Bar. Onyechi Ikpeazu, Metuh’s lawyer, while speaking to journalists today said his client (Metuh) did not know the source of the said money transferred into his company’s account and therefore, ready to return the money.
“Chief Metuh had shown sufficient evidence that he was not aware of the source of the N400 million made available to him by the former President and he has shown his willingness, since the commencement of this matter, to refund the said sum even when there is no guilt knowledge”, his counsel said:
Further addressing journalists, Ikpeazu said: “There are issues in the Appeal Court ruling the defence team is not comfortable with, after due consultation with our client, he will instruct us on the next action. The client has the right of appeal all the way to the Supreme Court,”. The Herald reports.
The former PDP spokesperson had earlier on been denied permission to travel abroad to seek medical aid for his failing health.
Meanwhile, the Federal High court of Abuja dismissed the application filed by the spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party, Olisa Metuh, asking for permission to travel abroad for his medical treatment Premium Times, reported
The counsel to Mr. Metuh had on May 23 informed the court of an application dated May 16 seeking permission to allow Mr. Metuh travel to the United Kingdom for five weeks to attend to his failing health.
The counsel, Onyeachi Ikpeazu, had also asked the court to permit the release of Mr. Metuh’s passport so that if the first application is granted, he (Mr. Metuh) would be able to travel for the proposed treatment of his ailing spinal cord.
The trial judge, Okon Abang, had on that day said the court would decide on Mr. Metuh’s application on May 25.
Mr. Abang had also asked both counsel on May 23 whether his court had the jurisdiction to grant the second application by Mr. Ikpeazu, seeking for the release of Mr. Metuh’s international passport.
After listening to the arguments of both counsel, Mr. Abang stated in his ruling, Wednesday, that the application seeking the release of Mr. Metuh’s international passport should not have come to his court in the first place.
He noted that the decision was made with regards to the nature of Mr. Metuh’s trial and that the court cannot hold back its decision.
Mr. Abang further said the present condition of the defendant should not be a reason for the law to be compromised.