The President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki was today humbled in the Appeal court when his case,  challenging the jurisdiction of the  the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT was thrown out.

Saraki is facing trial at the tribunal for alleged false declaration of asset.

He had approached the appeal court after the CCT dismissed his application in April, challenging the jurisdiction of the tribunal to try him.

A five man panel of justices led by Abdul Aboki on Friday affirmed the decision of the tribunal and dismissed Mr. Saraki’s application for lacking in merit.

Mr. Saraki’s applications on the matter has repeatedly been dismissed by the higher courts.


A similar petition was previously dismissed by the court, after which same was also struck out by the apex court in February 5 when the Supreme Court decided that Mr. Saraki should return to face his trial at the tribunal.

He is facing a 16-count charge brought against him by the Code of Conduct Bureau.

Why We Dismissed Saraki's Appeal - Court

The appeal court said its ruling was because Mr. Saraki’s trial at the tribunal, CCT, followed due process.

A five-member panel of judges led by Abdul Aboki therefore dismissed the application for lacking in merit.

The court said Mr. Saraki’s application that his trial at the CCT would not be in the interest of the public was based on sentiments.

“The charge against the appellant is according to due process; and whether it is in the interest of the public, the appellant’s submission is held with sentiments,” said Mr. Aboki.

“It will be a circumvention of justice if the court is carried away by sentiments.

“The appeal is unmeritorious, appellant’s appeal is therefore dismissed and judgement of the CCT judge Danladi Umar of March 28 is upheld and affirmed,” the court said.

The appeal court, however noted that Mr. Saraki remains innocent, until he is proven guilty by a court of law.

Mr. Saraki approached the appellate court after his appeal, challenging the jurisdiction of the tribunal to try him, was dismissed by the CCT in April.

He has made various applications challenging his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal since he was first charged in September, 2015.

Mr. Saraki is facing 16-count charge for alleged false declaration of asset to the Code of Conduct Bureau, while governor.

He has denied all the accusations.

The trial at the code of conduct is still on despite what seems to be a political solution to Mr. Saraki’s differences with the executive arm of government led by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Excerpted From Premium Times

Post a Comment

[random][fbig1]
Powered by Blogger.