In a response to my statement titled ‘’The Hypocrisy of Senator Florence Ita Giwa on Bakassi’’ which was published on National Dailies across the country last week, Senator Giwa made an appeal to me to join her advocacy campaign on Bakassi.
However, I want to state categorically clear that I will not mar my integrity by supporting the inglorious self-seeking advocacy of Senator Florence Ita Giwa on Bakassi on the following grounds:
1. I perceive Senator Florence Ita Giwa’s campaign on Bakassi to be insincere, deceitful, opaque, and steeped in self-glorification;
2. Until Senator Florence Ita Giwa render an account of her stewardship as the Chairman of Bakassi Re-Settlement Committee, vis-a-vis media reports of missing funds which she there after requested the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to investigate in an interview she granted the Galaxy Television on the 25th May 2010;
3. Until the former Governor of Cross River State , Mr. Donald Duke renders an account of more than N9 Billion that was given to the Government of Cross River State by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 2006 to re-settle the people of Bakassi affected by the implementation of the Green Tree Agreement between Nigeria and Cameroon;
4. Until the former Governor Liyel Imoke render an account of the money given to the Government of Cross River State by the Federal Government to ameliorate the effect of the loss of Bakassi Peninsula by Nigeria to the Republic of Cameroon, and the loss of 76 Oil Wells by Cross River State to Akwa Ibom State sequel to the Judgment of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
5. Until Senator Florence Ita Giwa render a frank and honest disclosure of the role played by her office during the Bakassi saga. Despite her luscious position as a Senator of the federal republic, who was influential, resourceful and powerful and a Senior member of successive PDP controlled Federal Government, Presidential Adviser , 2003-2007, Member of the Board of the Nigeria Port Authority and Chairman of Bakassi Resettlement Committee.
6. Until senator Florence Ita Giwa renders an account of how much was contributed by the public and private sectors to her charity campaign for the Bakassi Children Foundation.
I also crave her indulgence to answer the following questions:
1. Where was Senator Giwa when Obono-Obla started his advocacy campaign on Bakassi on the 28th of October, 2002. When he wrote an editorial opinion in the Guardian Newspaper of 28th October, 2002 titled Bakassi; Matters Arising;
2. What was the contribution of Senator Florence Giwa to the case filed by Honourable Bassey Ita ; Honourable Effiong Edet Effiong; Samuel Asuquo and Prince Edem Nsa (for themselves and on behalf of all the Communities in Bakassi Local Government Area of Cross River State affected by the ‘Green Tree Accord’ between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Republic of Cameroon against the Federal Government of Nigeria; Attorney General of the Federation; Attorney General of Cross River State; Independent National Electoral Commission and Cross River State Independent Electoral Commission. and his associates in 2007 in the Federal High Court, Calabar in Suit No. FHC/CA/CS/13/2007; a case which I handled (as Counsel to the Plaintiff) pro bono;
3. Why did Senator Florence Ita fail to use her influence as a Senior Member of the PDP to get the former Governor, Senator Liyel Imoke to support the case? ;
4 Is Senator Giwa (as an unofficial adviser to Senator Imoke) aware that the Cross River State Government did everything humanly possible to defeat the Plaintiffs in that case?