Multiple Bags Loaded With Money Recovered In Justice Ademola's House
Many bags load with money reportedly recovered by the men of Nigerian Secret Police, DSS during  a raid at Justice Adeniyi Ademola house, News Punch has learned reliably

The DSS according to Punch Newspaper on Tuesday gave an account of its raid on the official residence of the embattled judge of the Federal High Court, on October 7, 2016.

Mr. Ike Onuoha, The leader of the DSS team, which carried out the raid, gave the details of the operation when he appeared before a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Maitama, as the second prosecution witness in the ongoing joint trial of Justice Ademola, his wife, Olabowale and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Joe Agi, on Tuesday.

The Federal Government is prosecuting the three defendants on 16 counts bordering mainly on receiving gratifications.

Among the 16 counts preferred against the defendants, Justice Ademola was accused of being in illegal possession of firearms.

 Details later

BREAKING: Military Fighter Jet Kills Innocent Civilians, International Humanitarian Workers In Borno
The Army said a fighter jet had misfired and shot some humanitarian aid workers of the International Committee of Red Cross and the Medicines Sans Frontiers, and some civilians in Kala Balge in Borno during an operation.

The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, on Tuesday in Maiduguri said, “This morning, we received a report about the gathering of Boko Haram terrorists around Kala Balge area of Maiduguri.

“I coordinated and I directed that the air component of the operation should go and address the problem.

“Unfortunately, the strike was conducted but it turned out that other civilians were somewhere around the area and they were affected.

“So far, it is a little bit disturbing; death has occurred. There are casualties; there were deaths and injuries but on the actual number of casualties, we would get back to you later.

“I am yet to get the number of casualties of civilians killed, but two soldiers were also affected.

“Some humanitarian staff of Medicines Sans Frontiers and some staff of International Committee of Red Cross were also affected.

“We are sending helicopters to evacuate those that were critically wounded, including our wounded soldiers.”

NAN

MMM Nigeria
Punch Newspaper - The joy of participants (Mavrodians) in MMM over the return of the scheme on January 13, a month after it froze their accounts, has turned out to be shortlived as they have been fed excuse after excuse.

On Tuesday, four days after its return it cancelled all (GH) requests by participants to get their money back, creating panic once again.

“MMM has crashed o. Mmm deleted automatically every GH request few minutes ago. We are stranded now,” a participant, who did not want his identity disclosed wrote in a message to PUNCH.

But the scheme had another excuse ready; a system upgrade is to be blamed. It explained that the site was not fully shut down for the upgrade because that would cause panic.

They said, “Please note that the GH orders were not cancelled because if cancelled, you will see it at the right hand side as deleted. It was removed because of the following reasons:

There is an ongoing upgrade because programmers are always working on the MMM system every day so the promised New Model can be unveiled as soon as possible.”

It added, “There is no cause for any alarm over the removed GH orders, if you check your Mavro, you will notice the value of the removed GH order has been restored and had also increased though it is still showing pending withdrawal.”

But for many participants, there was call for alarm. For instance, a user pointed out that contrary to the claim in the statement there was no pending sign on his account.

“My mavro isn’t showing pending o. And I hope the order will be restored automatically when they are done because I can’t start waiting for another week to get paired, haba,” a participants complained in response to the post.

Another participant told one of our correspondents that while the GH requests were removed, the provide help function was still active.

About three million Nigerians, who are believed to be participants of the illegal scheme, had received a shocker on December 13 when their accounts was frozen with one suicide attempt reported.

At the time, those behind the scheme blamed the freeze on bad publicity and the need to prevent technical challenges that may be occassioned by the Yuletide rush.

They also promised to be back stronger on January 14, insisting that the scheme had not crashed as was widely reported.

Upon the ‘return’ of the scheme 24 hours ahead of schedule many Mavrodians had broken into wild jubilation, mocking the country’s financial sector regulators and Nigerians who had made fun of them for falling victim to one of the world’s biggest financial scams.

January 13 and the rest of the year belonged to Mavrodians they concluded, taking to the social media and posting videos of the celebrations. One Mavrodian hit the studio and posted a video of him singing, “MMM is back again/my salary is back again/my house rent is back again.”

The joy is turning out to be premature. MMM came back with new rules and most of all frustration for many who had seen their financial calculations rubished in December and their plans, including at least one wedding plan, truncated.

Bukola Saraki
Punch Newspaper - The Head of the Funds Transfer Unit of the Guaranty Trust Bank, Mr. Amazi Nwachuckwu, appeared before the Code of Conduct Tribunal on Tuesday, giving details of how the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, funded his offshore accounts between 2009 and and 2012.

Nwachukwu, who had within the period served at the Central Clearing and Foreign Operations Units of the bank, appeared before the CCT as the second prosecution witness in the ongoing trial of Saraki on charges bordering on asset declaration.

Saraki was the governor of Kwara State between 2003 and 2011 after which he was elected to the Senate.

The prosecution had alleged that the Senate President did not declare the foreign accounts to the Code of Conduct Bureau while being governor and a Senator during the period.

While being led in evidence by the lead prosecuting counsel, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), he said the Senate President transferred funds to his foreign accounts between 2009 and 2012.

The witness confirmed that Saraki was keeping dollar, pounds sterling and naira accounts domiciled in the Ilorin, Kwara State branch of the GTB.

He said Saraki transferred over $3m from his dollar account to his foreign account during the period.

He also said Saraki transferred the sum of $73,223.28 to America Express Services Euro Limited, New York, through their bank, America Express Bank, New York.

He said, “Dr. Saraki filled the form in Kwara State Government House, Ilorin.

“He gave instruction to transfer the sum of $73,223.28 to the beneficiary America Express Services Euro Limited, New York, through their bank, America Express Bank, New York to account number 730580 maintained by America Express Service Euro Limited.

“The purpose of payment was funding for amounts utilised on AMEX (American Express) cards issued to the customer (dollar credit card no. 374588216836009).

“For his dollar account number 441/441953/2/1/0, the customer signed the fund transfer form. The form was received from the account officer in Ilorin branch. We then processed it and transferred it to our corresponding bank abroad.

“The corresponding bank then transferred it America Express Bank Limited.”

He said the transfer was for the “funding for amount utilised on the payment cards issued to Saraki.”

He said the former Kwara State Governor transferred the total sum of £1,526,194.53 from his pounds sterling account to his Fortis Bank, London account in three instalments within two days on February 15 and 16, 2010.

He also said the GTB also offered a N375m loan to Saraki through a letter dated February 10, 2010.

According to the witness, Saraki instructed GTB to transfer the pounds sterling equivalent of the loan to fund mortage on a London property.
He said, “In Exhibit 7 is a letter dated February 10, 2010.

In the 14th out of the 16 counts preferred against the Senate President, Saraki was said to have failed to declare his interest in “an American Express Service Card with No: 374588216836009 wherein you (Saraki) transferred huges sums of money in dollars from your Guaranty Trust Bank domiciliary account No441441953210 in Nigeria to the American Express Service, Europe, whilst you Executive Governor of Kwara State.”

The offence is said to be contrary to section 15 of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act, CAP. C15, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 and as incorporated under paragraph 11(1) and (2), Part I o the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution.

It is said to be punishable under section 23(2) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act as incorporated under paragraph 18, Part I of the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution.

buhari and ayade
The Governor of Cross River State, Benedict Ayade reportedly had a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari today at the Aso Rock Presidental Villa, Abuja.

The meeting according to Vanguard News, held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja with the arrival of Ayade at about 1p.m. Clutching ‎a file, the governor who dressed in white Niger Delta shirt and a black trousers was ushered into the president’s office. 

Meeting his absence, Ayade was later taken to meet the President at his residence in a waiting SUV. 

It was later gathered that the governor came to discuss the deep seaport project of his government.‎ 

It will be recalled that the proposed Bakassi deep seaport and the 260km superhighway are estimated to cost about N700 billion. The deep seaport is expected to boost the export of produce such as rice and banana as well as solid minerals.

Some political watchers, especially from Cross River State suggested that Ayade's visit to Buhari may not be unconnected with defection plan.

There are strong indications that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is making serious efforts towards gaining more grounds in the South-East and South- South ahead of the 2019 general elections.

The targets of the federal ruling party are some governors in the geo-political zones.The APC performed woefully in the two zones in the 2015 general elections, losing most of the areas, save for Imo State to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

That is in addition to Anambra State, which has been in the hands of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).

To this end, report according to New Telegraph suggested that top leaders of the party are dangling carrots of automatic re-election to some first term governors in the two zones.

With the exception of the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, who has proven a stubborn fly for the APC, sources said that other governors in the two zones, who are in their first terms, but do not belong to the APC, are being targeted for the cross-over onslaught.

Sources close to the APC indicated that top on the list of those being approached are the Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano; Ebonyi State Governor, Chief David Umahi; Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu; Cross River State Governor, Prof. Ben Ayade and that of Akwa Ibom, Mr. Udom Emmanuel.



It was gathered that towards achieving the goal, some top shots of the APC in the two regions have been reaching out to the governors, with a view to convincing them to join the APC and ditch the PDP.

Kazeem Amodu Ige
A 300-level student of the department of Civil Engineering at the Osun State University, Osogbo, Kazeem Amodu Ige has been killed in a fight that erupted among some students of the institution on Monday evening.

Daily Trust correspondent gathered that Kazeem was allegedly stabbed in the chest by a 400-level student of the department of Physics Electronics of the same university, Yusuff Adekunle, also known as Stone.

The pandemonium broke out around the students’ hostel at University road in Oke-Baale area of Osogbo, capital of Osun State on Monday evening as a result of the bloody class by the UNIOSUN students.

The reason for the fight among the students is still uncertain.

A source told Daily Trust that the deceased student was not among those fighting and that Kazeem was only trying to separate the feuding students when he was stabbed.

Daily Trust correspondent learnt that the machete cut on Kazeem was very deep and that he was rushed to Our Lady of Fatimah Catholic Hospital, Jaleyemi area for medical treatment to save his life but he was confirmed dead by the doctors in the hospital.

His corpse was initially deposited at the mortuary of the same hospital for autopsy but it was later transferred to the state hospital, Asubiaro area by the authorities of the university.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Fimihan Adeoye while confirming the incident said he had ordered a full scale investigation into the matter and assured that the culprits would not go scot-free.

Adeoye, who spoke through the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Folasade Odoro said necessary measures have been put in place to prevent reprisal attacks among the students and assured that police would ensure safety of lives and properties in the area.

A student of the university said this sad occurrence was unfortunate at the time that UNIOSUN community was still mourning the death of a 400 Level student that was kidnapped and killed by ritualists recently while 2 missing male students of the university were yet not found.


[random][fbig1]
Powered by Blogger.